Tuesday, May 27, 2014

To Grow Up

To Grow Up

No one taught me how to grow up
Ripped from the sun kissed days of youth
Into the bleak, wintery abyss of maturity
No one prepared me for this.

I know everyone goes through it,
I understand it's part of life,
That in order to be accepted we must "grow",
But I don't understand why.

Why should we have to give up
 The only things that make life beautiful
In order to survive in this world?

As children we understand what's important:
The connections between each other
Singing songs and holding hands
That play and make believe are sacred...

Why must these life-giving entities disappear
Or be looked at as Naive as we grow?
It seems to me that adulthood is code
For throwing your soul to the stones.

Couldn't we compromise?
I believe we can fulfill our childhood desires
While coming at them from a deeper
And more mature perspective.

Until we come to a place where "childishness:"
Is accepted in the adult heart
I will never feel welcome 
In a world that shuts such wonder out.


No comments:

Post a Comment